On behalf of the Home and School Association (H.S.A.), welcome to SJNRCS!
Recognizing the value of parental involvement, it is our policy to utilize the help of parent and family volunteers in as many areas of the school as possible. In order for our school to fully benefit from the time and talents of our families, a Mandatory Volunteer Policy is in effect to evenly share responsibilities among all registered families. This program allows for adequate staffing of H.S.A. sponsored events and other programs that help keep tuition costs down. As a result, mandatory service hours are required of all registered families.
If you are new to the school or are not an approved volunteer please go to Step 1.
If you are an approved volunteer please go to Step 2 for information on being approved as a driver or money counter.
Go to Step 3 to read the mandatory service hour requirements and learn how you will receive credit for your time.
If you have other questions or would like to get involved in a particular event please email the home and school president, Tres Scott, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 1. All Parents Who Volunteer Must be Approved Volunteers
Every individual who wishes to volunteer at SJNRCS at any time or for any event must complete a background screening and complete the Virtus training. Again, these are two separate requirements and an individual may not complete one and not the other to be approved. If you would like to volunteer at the school and have not yet met both of these requirements, you will need to e-mail Ms. Shema directly at email@example.com and provide your full name along with your e-mail address. An email will then be sent to the volunteer and will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to check your spam folder for it or add email@example.com to your contacts. Once this e-mail is received, you will open the e-mail and follow the steps within the e-mail to complete a background screening and set up your Virtus training. When your background screening is complete Ms. Shema will receive a notification. Once Virtus training has been scheduled, please notify Ms. Shema of your training date. Background screenings and Virtus trainings are valid for five years before having to be renewed from the date you are 100% approved for volunteering purposes.
You can learn more about The Archdiocese of Atlanta’s Virtus – Protecting God’s Children program here.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are already an approved volunteer at an Atlanta Archdiocese Catholic Parish or another Atlanta Archdiocese Catholic school – email our Administrative Assistant Adrianne Shema at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell her the name of the Catholic parish or Archdiocesan school your were approved through. She will verify this information and notify you via email if you are still approved and clear to volunteer.
STEP 2. Apply for Additional Approvals
VOLUNTEER DRIVER APPROVAL
If anyone wishes to serve as driver for SJNRCS for field trips etc., they must first complete the above-mentioned as outlined for ALL VOLUNTEERS. Then, they will need to contact Ms. Shema at 770-381-0557 or come by the front office between 8:30 – 2:30 Monday through Friday to complete the additional requirements necessary for becoming a volunteer driver. A driving record screening will be performed on anyone who wishes to drive students for any school event and this will require detailed personal information such as social security number, date of birth, tag number, driver’s license number, etc. Additionally, prospective volunteer drivers will receive an e-mail from Ms. Shema with a list of required documents needed before being approved as a driver. These documents need to be turned in to Ms. Shema in the front office where they will be kept on file. There is also a link to a video contained within the same e-mail that must be watched.
We are in need or parents to handle/count money for SJNRCS for the Fall Festival, Penny Wars, Fundraisers, etc., they must first complete approval for ALL VOLUNTEERS. An additional simple credit check will need to be completed on the prospective volunteer. In order to complete a credit check, please send Ms. Shema an e-mail directly at email@example.com or fill out the Contact form on this page.
Sign Up for Virtus Here
Most volunteer opportunities are sent out via Sign Up Genius. Sign up for your account today and make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book!
STEP 3. Know Our Mandatory Parent Volunteer Policy
The Mandatory Volunteer Policy is subject to modification as circumstances warrant. The current 2018-2019 provisions are as follows:
- Each family registered at St. John Neumann Regional Catholic School is required to volunteer a minimum of twenty (20) hours of service per school year per the mission of our school. Any parent, legal guardian, grandparent or immediate family member over 18 years of age may fulfill a family’s service obligation.
- Prior to volunteering at SJN during school hours, each parent or family member MUST:
- Attend the Archdiocese of Safe Environment training (VIRTUS)
- Complete a background check
- Service Hours will be tracked in our Lobby Scan program and via our online form below. When you check-in you will identify your purpose and when you check-out it will log your hours. If your service hour(s) are not done at the school please fill out the form below to submit your hours so we can add them to your total.
- The definition of a “service hour” is flexible. Room parents act as liaisons between families and teachers to coordinate teacher needs, some of which may be completed at home. All of the traditional volunteer positions count as service hours, including coaching, fundraising, baking and room parenting.
- A Parent Coordinator will lead each event and volunteer effort. Parent Coordinators work closely with the president of the H.S.A. and with fellow parent volunteers to organize each event.
- If a family is unable to fulfill their required twenty (20) hours during the school year, they are required to buy out their commitment for a fee of $20 per hour. Any outstanding hours or monetary fees must be reconciled by the end of the school year. Please e-mail Dr. Broom at email@example.com if service hours cause your family undue hardship and other arrangements will be made.
Because of the unique nature of this policy, the school has reserved the right to change this policy at any time.
Non-Logged Hours Submission Form